- Past News & Events
Past News & Events
- Dog Boutique
- Dog Collars
- Nautical Dog Collars and Beach Dog Collars
- Dog Bow Tie and Soft Hemp Dog Collars
- Flower Dog Collars and Girly Pink Dog Collars
- American Flag Collars and Maryland Themed
- Plaids, Stars and Fun Collar Designs
- Martingale Collars for Dogs
- Holiday Dog Collars and Party Collars
- Very Small Dog Collars and Puppy Pet Collars
- Dog Leashes
- Dog ID Tags, Tag Silencers, Pick-up Products
- Dog Toys
- Dog Training Harnesses, Mesh Dog Harnesses
- Dog Apparel
- Dog Treats
- Dog Bowls
- Pet Safety Items & Grooming
- Dog Collars
- Cat Supplies
- Pet People Gifts
- Special Pet Ornaments
- Unique Dog Collars
- USA Made Products
St. Paddy's Day Parade PUP Crawl 2019
Sunday, March 10, 2019
Paws pet boutique and Dogwood Acres Pet Retreat partnered again to host a group of dog lovers to 'march' in the Annapolis St. Patrick's Day Parade! Thanks to everyone who joined us and made it a fabulous day in March for all!
PAWS About TOWN Social Series 2018
-4th Friday of the month, June through September 2018 5:30-7:30PM
Paws pet boutique and Dogwood Acres Pet Retreat are partnering to sponsor this new dog-friendly Friday night event series that supports animal charities and brings together our community canines at dog-friendly restaurants. Enjoy this summer restaurant tour with your best friend by your side! Please mark your calendar for the following dates and spots:
June 22 - Fado's supporting A.A. County SPCA
Each evening features raffle prizes with 100% of proceeds donated to the featured charity. Tickets are only $5 each or 5 tickets for $20. Additionally, the restaurant will donate a portion of their sales during the event to the charity. It' all good and admission is free! Mark your calendars and come out for a special evening.
9th Annual 'Click & Treat' Photo Benefit Day
Saturday, October 13, 2018 (rain date: Oct. 14)
Registering for a photo time begins at 10 AM on Tuesday, September 25! Call Paws pet boutique at 410-263-8683 to grab your spot early, as this event sold out in less than 2 days last year AND raised $2,420 for Ben's Memorial Fund with Animal Legal Defense Fund. Find all the detail below!
You'll have an opportunity to select a border below in which your photo will be displayed.
Red Leash Pet Photography donates their time and talent to capture a priceless photo of your pet - with you if you'd like too! The best image is set in a Halloween/Fall border you select and then emailed to you to share online or print & frame. Sessions are approximately 10 minutes. Pets in costumes are welcome too!
Pets may be photographed together or with you but a donation is required for each photographed pet.
Here are your options:
$40 Donation to ALDF:
Treats you to a 10-minute session and 1 digital image
$75 Donation to ALDF:
Provides you with 2 digital images of your best friend
Make a $100 Donation to ALDF:
Receive a $20 gift certificate to Paws pet boutique to spend that day, a $20 Harry Browne's coupon and 2 digital images of your pet.
100% of Proceeds donated to Animal Legal Defense Fund/Ben's Fund to fight puppy mills and support prosecution of animal cruelty. Join us for a fun event and help us make a difference. Thank you.
5th Annual Annapolis St. Patrick's Day Parade
Happened Sunday, March 11, 2018
Our Annapolis dog community had enthusiastic Irish spirit and was a shining star in the parade as far as we're concerned! Paws pet boutique and Dogwood Acres pet Retreat sponsored this dog-friendly group of marchers we named the St. Paddy Pup Crawlers! Thanks to everyone who registered (it was free!) and strutted your stuff and “wagged this way” with us!
We plan on sponsoring this dog-friendly group again next year, so stay tuned. The spirit was amazing! Our Costume Contest categories which included BEST Furry Leprechaun, BEST Dressed 2-legged Leprechaun, BEST Pup and Person Pair and BEST Shamrock Strutter will have to be expanded in 2019!
All parade participants received a coupon from both Dogwood Acres & Paws Pet Boutique, a St Paddy’s Dog Treat plus a special dog bandanna for the parade.
Congrats to Darlene who won the Southwest Airline ticket in our Raffle to benefit Ben's Memorial Fund with Animal Legal Defense Fund. It was a fabulous day!!
Friday, Dec. 1, 2017 - Sip & Shop with Tracy Menz Designs Trunk Show
Thanks to everyone who came by to meet Tracy Menz, who creates our handmade jewelry, and shopped her beautiful creations. And thanks go out to Tracy for donating a portion of her proceeds to Ben's Memorial Fund to help animals.
8th Anniversary Paws Party and Fundraiser - Friday, September 29, 2017
We had to celebrate the fact that back in 1999 a little pet boutique called Paws opened downtown Annapolis. Thanks to everyone who joined us for sips, snacks and our fundraiser raffle and auction. Almost $3,000 was raised to benefit Ben's Memorial Fund that night!
Special thanks go out to Southwest Airlines, Tracy Menz Designs, Dogwood Acres Pet Retreat, Red Leash Pet Photography, Harry Browne's Restaurant, Cooper's Hawk, Brows by Alison, Whole Foods, Gordon Biersch, Designs by Leslie, Varuna Salon and Spa, Rutabaga Juicery, Paws and Possibility Dog Training, Kent Island Jewelry, It's a Pet Thing, Bayside Animal Medical Center, Annebeth's, Severna Park Flowers and Gifts, The Brick Companines/Maryland Golf, Navy Athletics, Loews Annapolis Hotel, BAROAK and other generous businesses that donated their products and services for this special charity event.
October 14, 2017: 8th Annual Click & Treat Photo Benefit Day! SOLD OUT in 48 hours
Our back courtyard behind the store was filled with hay bales, pumpkins and mums for the perfect backdrop.
100% of the proceeds raised were donated to Ben's Memorial Fund with Animal Legal Defense Fund. Big thanks go out to Lori with Red Leash Pet Photography for donating her time and talents for this special event. We are thrilled to share $2,420 was raised!
So much fun!
WINTER 2017 Paws Canines & Cocktails for a Cause
Well this brightened the winter and supported 3 charities!
4th FRIDAY of the Month, February through April, 5:30 - 7:30 PM
February 24 to benefit SPCA of Anne Arundel County
March 24 to benefit Greyhound Pets of America/MD
April 28 to benefit Senior Dog Sanctuary
All proceeds from Raffle and Refreshments were donated to the featured charity.
7th Click & Treat Photo Day with Red Leash Pet Photography
Saturday, October 15, 2016 - SOLD OUT
Thank you for the amazing response to this annual event! Red Leash Pet Photography and Paws are tickled to share that $2,205 was raised from this Benefit Photo Day! Thanks to all involved! We will both be sharing photos from the day on our Facebook and Instagram pages.
Pumpkins, mums and straw bales made a perfect fall setting. Red Leash Pet Photography clicked photos of your furry companions (with or without you in the photo) and selected the best image before setting them in a festive border. Big thanks to Lori with Red Leash Pet Photography for donating her talent and lots of time to make this fundraiser event always a happy success. All proceeds donated to Ben's Memorial Fund through Animal Legal Defense Fund. ____________________________________________________
Paws 'Canines & Cocktails for a Cause'
Paws pet boutique teamed up with Loews Annapolis Hotel, BAROAK and the SPCA for 7 dog-friendly happy hours that supported worthy charities in the 2016 season. We had so much fun and raised thousands of dollars for important animal charities. Thank you to everyone who participated this year!
September 30, 2016 benefited Ben's Memorial Fund/Animal Legal Defense Fund -This was an extra special night as the cause is dear to our hearts.
Thanks to everyone who came out and supported this event and the generous businesses that donated an amazing array of prizes for both a Raffle and Silent Auction. Over $5,200 was raised for Ben's Memorial Fund. All proceeds support prosecuting animal cruelty and fighting animal cruelty.
Support these businesses who supported us...
Southwest Airlines - Round Trip Airline Tickets! www.southwest.com
Tracy Menz Designs- Handmade Fine Silver Diamond Pendant & Diamond Earrings, www.tracymenzdesigns.com
Brows by Alison- Gift certificate for Brow Artistry & Cruelty Free Luxury Products, www.browsbyalison.com
The Brick Companies - $400 Golf Package , www.thebrickcompanies.com
Red Leash Pet Photography - $100 Gift Certificate, www.redleash.com
Annebeth's on MD Ave. - Wine with Gift Bag, www.annebeths.com
Bowtie Cinemas - Movie Tickets
Bayside Animal Hospital - Pet Acupuncture Session, www.baysideanimal.com
Baroak - Dining Certificate, www.baroakannapolis.com
BARK - Basket of Pet Food, www.bark.com
Annapolis Cooper's Hawk -Wine Basket & Paws Stemless Wine Glasses, www.coopershawkwinery.com
Smothers Brothers autographed Yo-Yo
Dogwood Acres Pet Retreat - Pet Lodging for 3 nights
Designs by Leslie- Handmade Glass Artist item, www.designsbyleslie.com
Greater Annapolis Vet Hospital - $100 Gift Certificate, www.gavh.com
Gordon Biersch - Gift Certificate & Growler Refills, www.gordonbiersch.com
Harry Browne's - Brunch for 2...PLUS $20 dining certificate with $100 raffle tix purchase www.harrybrownes.com
It's a Dog World Grooming Salon - Full Dog Grooming, Glen Burnie 410-750-3666
Kent Island Jewelry - Delightful Basket of Jewelry, www.kentislandjewelry.com
Loews Annapolis Hotel - Overnight Stay with breakfast www.loewshotels.com
Paws pet boutique - Gift Baskets and Dog Life Sign, www.pawspetboutique.com
Paws and Possibilities- 3 class sessions, www.pawsandpossibilities.com
Pure Hair & Simply Skin- Organic facial by owner Missy Klein, www.purehairsimplyskin.com
Pure Hair & Simply Skin- Organic hair care & Body Products, www.purehairsimplyskin.com
Rutabega Craft Juicery- Gift Card, www.rutabagajuicery.com
Sandy Pony Donuts - Donuts!, www.sandyponydonut.com
Tide Down Designs - Maryland Flag Basket of Goodies, visit them on Etsy
Kent Island Jewelry- Gift basket (jewelry & cleaning care), www.kentislandjewelry.com
Varuna Aveda Salon & Spa - Spa Package, www.varunasalonspa.com
Wholefoods - Gift Card, www.wholefoods.com
To learn more about the featured charities click on the links below..., Ben's Memorial Fund with Animal Legal Defense Fund, Chesapeake Cats & Dogs Rescue, Companion Bridge, DonorsChoose (Loew's Hotel sponsored charity supporting local classrooms), SPCA of Anne Arundel County
Paws supported Dogwood Acres 'Paint Your Pet' events
Over $3,700 was raised and donated to Ben's Memorial Fund thanks to everyone who supported the Paint events and our Southwest Airlines Raffle.
Raffle Fundraiser to benefit Ben's Memorial Fund helped us donate $1,000.
6th Annual Click & Treat Fall Photo Benefit Day with Red Leash Pet Photography happened on Saturday, October 24, 2015
Always a super fun day of photo taking in Paws back courtyard. Pumpkins, mums and straw bales made the setting perfect for fall.
Red Leash Pet Photography clicked photos of your companions with paws and selected the best images before setting them in a festive border. It was a super busy day of photo taking that raised $1,704 for Animal Legal Defense Fund.
Big thanks to Lori with Red Leash Pet Photography for donating her talent and lots of time to make this fundraiser event such a happy success.
Thanks again to all who participated!
Paws Sweet 16 Anniversary Party & Raffle
happened on Friday, September 25, 2015
In addition to thanking these generous businesses who donated the raffle prizes, our gratitude goes out to The Squires Group for offering to match what is raised for the charity Animal Legal Defense Fund up to $5,000!
We were fortunate to have beautiful weather so the courtyard was open and guests mingled. Thanks to Dick Smothers of the Smothers Brothers for joining us and lending his support. Thanks also to Tracy Menz who hosted a Trunk Show with all her beautiful handmande jewelry and donated a gorgeous, one-of-a-kind pendant with a floating bezel. The pendant was auctioned off with all proceeds donated to Animal Legal Defense Fund. Additionally all proceeds from the raffle were doanted to ALDF to help fight animal abuse and cruelty.
Wag & Wine for a Cause was hosted by Paws pet boutique & Great Frogs Winery
the 4th Friday of the month May through August 2015
The event series was a success and Mother Nature brought us lovely weather for each Friday. Over $6,000 was raised from the raffles for the 4 featured animal charities. Thanks to Mad Flava and Harry Browne's for joining us with tasty nibbles too!
Check out our Facebook photo albums for hundreds of photos from Paws Wag & Wine for a Cause series
Thursday, March 19, 2015 we celebrated Maryland Day early with late night shopping and specials.
For more history on Maryland Day, visit our Paws blog.
Sunday, March 8, 2015: Crabtowne Canines marched again in the Annapolis, St. Patrick's Parade
We hosted our first Sip & Shop on February 28, 2015 with Tracy Menz Designs
Sipping refreshments from Harry Browne's were served (check out their Chateau La Paws wine!) and a portion of the proceeds benefitted Animal Legal Defense Fund. All proceeds from the Raffle go to ALDF with the raffle winner will take home a Southwest Airline ticket!
Our First Ugly Sweater Party & Contest on December 6, 2014 was fun!
Paw Posie Painting - Happened on Sunday, November 30, 2014
with artists Rosemary and John Williams from 10 AM to 3 PM
Oh what fun it was! We painted 26 Paw Posies from your pet's paw prints. Over $100 will be donated to Animal Legal Defense Fund and priceless pieces of art were created. It was a great day that we hope to do again next year - same time, same place.
Small Business Saturday, November 29, 2014
Thanks to everyone who joined us for this great day!
(Paws team photo taken by Red Leash Pet Photography)
Click & Treat Halloween Photo with Red Leash Pet Photography
Yipppeee! Our 5th year hosting this event with Red Leash was a huge success. Beautiful weather, fabulous dogs and spirit resulted in us raising $2,000 to benefit Animal Leagal Defense Fund. Thanks to all who participated!
Canines & Cocktails for a Cause 2014 Series
Our annual traditon with Loews Annapolis Hotel continued through 2014.
These dog-friendly Happy Hours with a twist on the last Friday of the month benefited fabulous charities. The outside patio at Loews Hotel on West Street was always filled with good people and their pups. Special thanks to Dogwood Acres for their donation of a basket to every raffle this series. Through the season we had the opportunity to meet some of their participants with their Therapy Dog group Caring Canines too!
Here's a run down of the worthy groups we had the opportunity to mingle with during Canines & Cocktails.
Friday, May 30 to benefit Northern Chesapeake Sheltie Rescue - Thanks to everyone who joined us over $800 was raised from the raffle!
Friday, June 27 to benefit Anne Arundel County SPCA - Thanks to everyone over $1,000 was raised!
Friday, July 25 to benefit MD Animal Sanctuary & Rescue - We're excited to share almost $1,400 was raised! Thank you!
Friday, August 15 (BONUS Date) to benefit DonorsChoose.org ; Back to School Theme
Friday, August 29 to benefit Greyhound Pets of America, MD Chapter - A beautiful night! Over $1,000 raised from the raffle!
Friday, September 26 to benefit Animal Legal Defense Fund featuring Paws pet boutique's annual Dog Fashion Show - Another beautiful night! Thanks to everyone who joined us for Paws Fashion Show and supported our raffle and auction. We are still tallying, but raised over $2,000! This will really help to fight animal cruelty. ALDF is the group that rescued our Ben from a hoarder. Thank you for your support!
Friday, October 31 to benefit Canines Partners for Life; Halloween Dress-up Night. So many great costumes! Over $600 was raised.
Loews Annapolis Hotel is dog-friendly (with no size limits) if you'd like to make a special weekend of it. They are located at 126 West Street in Annapolis, MD. Special thanks to our partner in 2014!
happend March 9, 2014: Crabtowne Canines march in the Annapolis St. Patrick Parade
Our good spirited group of dogs and their people enjoyed marching behind our 'Crabtowne Canines' banner in Annapolis' 2nd St. Patrick's Parade. A beautiful day was enjoyed by all. Visit our Facebook Photo Album for more photos from our fun outing! Thanks to everyone who joined us, including Greg and Brenda who drove their beautiful vintage fire engine with our dog-friendly group. Looking forward to 2015 already.
happened December 19, 2013: Share the Spirit Raffle
Thanks to everyone's support $1,230 was raised and donated to Animal Legal Defense Fund. Congrats to the winner Mr. Lehman from Ohio!
Thanks Dick and Madeline for all your help!
happened November 22, 2013: Paw Posie Painting with artist Rosemary
Local artists Rosemary and John joined us on Small Business Saturday to capture pawprints in paint that are turned into a bouquet Paw Posies. Each uniquely special. We were busy all day and donated $4 from each Painting to the SPCA of Anne Arunel County.
happened August 22 to September 7, 2013: Ben's Dazzling Auction to Benefit Animal Legal Defense Fund. With wonderful support from businesses and individuals we are grateful to have raised $9,400 to help fight animal cruelty. This nonprofit works through the legal system to support animal welfare. Without them our dog Ben would have never had a life outside of a hoarder's property that held over 300 dogs captive in a horrible environment.
Thanks to Generous Businesses Ben's Auction had fabulous items up for bid!
Southwest Airline Tickets
Tickets to a Live Performance of 'Dancing with the Stars'
Accomodations at Loews Hotels in Annapolis and D.C.
Stunning Sapphire and Diamond Ring designed by Niland & Company Jewelers
Queenstown Harbor Greens Golf Package
Dogwood Acres Pet Retreat Getaway and Spa Package
Scotlaur Inn Bed & Breakfast Stay in Annapolis
Ben by Mural Framed Photo by Pam Townsend/Digital Doggy
Red Leash Pet Photography Mini Session and Holiday Cards
Jewelry Handmade by Tracy Menz Designs
Fused Glass pieces by Designs by Leslie
Botanical Body Cream by Bumble & Company
Vet Care by Greater Annapolis Vet Hospital and Muddy Creek
Severna Flowers & Gifts Bouquets
Highland Aerosports Hang Glide Lesson
Yoyos autographed by Dick of The Smothers Brothers & Collector Terbis Glasses
Organo Gold Coffee & Tea Package
Orioles Tickets, 4th Row!
Maggie Bag made from Seat Belts
Paws pet boutique Gifts for Dogs and People
ALDF logo Tote, Coffee Mugs & T-Shirt
Mariposa Lab Platter, Napkin Holder and Double Sauce Dish
Bowtie Cinemas Movie Tickets
Harry Browne's Brunch
The Federal House Dining Certificate
Dog Training by Paws & Possibilities
Click & Treat with Red Leash Pet Photography
happened Saturday, October 26, 2013 from 10:30 AM to 5:00 PM
Our annual Halloween Photo Fundraiser provided partipants with a digital image of their dog or cat set in the seasonal border they selected. With a minimum donation of $40 we were able to raise $1,330 which was donated to Animal Legal Defense Fund. Special thanks to Red Leash Pet Photography for sharing their time and talent for this fun fundraiser!
Happened Saturday, May 12, 2012 Mother's Day with your Furbaby
Thanks to the donated time and photography talents of Red Leash Pet Photography $1,125 was raised to benefit Lab Rescue of LRCP. What a fun! Thanks to all who joined us for photos in our back courtyard!
Canines & Cocktails for a Cause 2013 Series happened the Last Friday of the Month; 5:30-7:30 PM at WEST Kitchen & Tavern
Paws pet boutique started this event series years ago and enjoyed partnering again with the Loews Annapolis Hotel and WEST. Kitchen & Tavern for the 2013 season.
Here are the 6 dog-friendly 'Happy Hours' we enjoyed bringing to Annapolis and the charities they supported.
Happened April 26, 2013: 'Dog Brews & Barkers' to benefit SPCA of Anne Arundel County
Over $800 was raised thanks to everyone who attended!
Happened June 28, 2013: Iron Chef Canine Demo to benefit Greyhound Pets of America, MD Chapter
Chef Kevin from WEST Kitchen & Tavern demonstrated cooking for their dog guests. A dog and person "Eat-Off" added some entertainment to the night as did the phenomenal Raffle! Joanne with Greyhound Pets of America did a wonderful job with the raffle and WEST Kitchen & Tavern made a generous donation from the drink/food sales. The night raised $965 for this great charity. Dogs and people had a fabulous time and we're sure everyone slept well that night! Special thanks to all the businesses that donated prizes to the raffle including Metropolitan, WEST Kitchen & Tavern, Loews Annapolis Hotel and Dogwood Acres Pet Retreat. Paws pet boutique was proud to donate to the raffle as well.
Happened July 26: Best Dog Trick to benefit Pets with Disabilities
Thanks for the great turnout! It was fun to have Dick of the Smothers Brothers drop by and we can happily report $900 was raised from the raffle! Additionally a dog was adopted. All good! See you at the next one.
Happened August 30: Dog Days of Summer Celebration to benefit P.A.W.S. (formerly Pets on Wheels of A.A. County) We had a beautiful night and amazing turnout. Check out the photos on our Facebook page.
Happened September 27: Paws Canine Fall Fashion Show to benefit Animal Legal Defense Fund (Ben's Charity) Another fabulous night and fashionable pups were everywhere! About a dozen dogs did a magnificent job modeling the newest styles that just arrived at our boutique. From tiny terriers to Dobermans, we had all sizes covered with their best paw forward. Thanks to everyone's support over $1,000 was raised for ALDF!
happened October 25: Canine Howl-o-ween Party to benefit Donors Choose - Loews Charity of Choice. Great music by P.J. Thomas and outrageously fabulous costumes made the night memorable! All proceeds from the outstanding Raffle were donated to Donors Choose, which helps local school classrooms.
2010 was our 7th year marching as the Crabtown Canines in the July 4 Parade
5th Annual Crabtowne Canines Parade March
July 4th, 2008 Downtown Annapolis
This year's "300 Wags for the Annapolis, 1708-2008" theme reflected the city's 300 year charter celebration. An overwhelming turnout allowed us to show our Annapolis dog spirit and raise $533 for the SPCA of Anne Arundel County! The weather was a bit damp, but perfect dog marching weather in Annapolis for July.
Judy J., a local who helped originate this group of marchers, reflected on the day with a poem...
...Crabtowne Canines The Crabtowne Canines, a mighty brigade...Gathered together for the July 4th parade....They came by car, on foot and by boat,...Hurried past a golden dragon and a grand looking float.....Once finding their place in the parade menagerie,...They sniffed noses, exchanged stories, and lovely memories....With eyes to the heavens they nervously prayed...Fearful that rain would cancel the parade....But the brave little group would not be deterred...A few drops fell but they were not disturbed...Capital City Colonials led them on segways bold...Doing loop de loops and throwing tootsie rolls....Their banner soon followed, proclaiming their fame,...Spelling "Crabtowne Canines," their glorious name....Then came the dogs, all sizes and shapes,...They marched with a purpose in their bandanna capes...Big dogs, little dogs, old, and brand new...Marched proudly together as the applause grew....A sea of blue paws on tee shirts of white...Greeted the crowd this warm holiday night...And "Wag to the Flag" they howled and they sang...As a convertible and fire engine then joined the gang...Crabtowne Canines celebrated with pride...The city's anniversary and "Annapolis Alive."...To Michelle and Larry and the folks at Paws...We thank you a lot, your loving the dogs....To all those who helped in whatever way...We raised a pot of money for the SPCA.
Canines & Cocktails for a Cause Series
Monthly T.G.I.F. for You & Your Dog April through September 2008; 5- 8 PM
Paws pet boutique teamed up with dog-friendly Loews Annapolis Hotel again to bring you a series of special Friday evenings. Good times were had by all on the outside patio of the Weather Rail at Loews Hotel with the Paws pet boutique gang.
- A portion of the drink sales from each evening was generously donated by Loews Annapolis Hotel to the non-profit Cause featured that night.
Over $5,000 was raised this season for 6 worthy charities, while we enjoyed the start to the weekend with our dogs. Here's what we did and who we helped this season...April 25 – Barking Contest with Beagle Rescue of Southern Maryland. Thanks to everyone over $1,100 was raised to help beagles in need and Misia (recovering from jaw surgury and pictured below, left) found her forever home with Emily!
May 30 – Black Dog Night with SPCA/Humane Society of Prince George’s County.Pam Townsend published the book “Black is Beautiful: A Celebration of Dark Dogs”to tout the beauties and desirable traits of black dogs, which tend to be the least likely to be adopted. All the profits from book sales are donated to the Humane Society of Prince George’s County. Consider adopting a black dog and thanks to all who helped raise $1,000 for this group.June 27 – Luke's Party for SPCA of Anne Arundel CountyYellow lab Luke, adopted from the SPCA, now enjoys his duties as Loews Annapolis Hotel’s mascot dog. He never forgot where he came from, so this was a perfect way to give-back.July 25 – Tail Wagging Contest for Fidos for Freedom
Fidos for Freedom gives many something to wag about with their therapy and service dogs. Fidos volunteers were out in full force to enjoy a beautiful evening that raised almost $1,000 from the raffle alone!August 22 -- Ice Cream Social for Mid-Atlantic Westie RescueIn the heat of the summer it doesn't get much better than a Dog "Ice Cream" Eating contest! The competition was tough too. This rescue services a large area and takes in Westies in good health and in poor health, and make sure they all find the right forever homes. What an evening!October 3 (revised date) - Paws Fall Canine Fashion Show to help Modest NeedsCanines strutted the latest fall styles available at Paws pet boutique on the "cat walk" at Loews Annapolis Hotel. All the canines looked dynamite and all came from Animal Rescues, many of which we highlighted throughout our Canines & Cocktails series. If you weren't here, you missed out on fabulous raffle prizes and quite a finale that helped raise over $700 for the local charity Modest Needs from the raffle alone.
Special thanks to Lorraine from Pet-aw-graphy.com for donating her time to capture the show!
Pirate Pet Parade
Sunday, May 4, 2008
Watermark and Paws pet boutique partner again for this har-hardy good time as part of the Maritime Festival at the Annapolis City Dock. We enjoyed celebrating our Maryland Maritime Heritage with a little twist...
- Judges were challenged with 15 prizes and 40 dogs swaggering their stuff on the tented "stage" by the water. Special thanks to David with Friends of Quiet Waters Park/Dog Park, Lisa with Mobile Pet Vet, Sylvia with Fidos for Freedom and Leo for making up such a distinguished judges panel. Captain Waters of Watermark kept the crowd hooked as judges deliberated.
- Prizes were given for the Best Barkaneer (most talkative), Salty Dog (feistiest) and the Aargh, Arf Award (most swagger) to name a few. The big Capt. Jack Sparrow award went to 3-legged Patterson with his "peg leg" and 2-legged Peggy. We are grateful he was here to win!
- Fidos for Freedom joined our pirate pack this year as our non-profit partner. They are working to increase the quality of life and provide companionship to the residents of our local community through specially trained service dogs, hearing dogs and therapy dogs. Outstanding job by all and over $600 was raised.
Think Spring Paw Posies
Sunday, April 6, 11 AM – 3 PM
Big dogs, little dogs, furry dogs and puppy dogs came out for some spring painting with local artists Rosemary and Patsy. Dogs made an everlasting paw print…or two…or three…or four with Patsy’s help on watercolor paper. Thanks to some added brush strokes from Rosemary, each grew into beautiful posies. A bouquet to last a lifetime that helped a special cause. Patsy recently adopted her dog Piper from the Washington Humane Society, so $4 of each Posy price was donated to help the still homeless pets there. Over $100 will be put to good use thanks to all who brought their dog our for some spring painting.
Spring Collar Swap
Saturday, March 22, 2008
There are some good looking necks around town after all the swapping! Thanks to all who brought donations for the homeless pets at the SPCA of Anne Arundel County and made monetary donations throughout the week. Over a box of goodies was brought to the SPCA. We appreciate your continued support of this event.
7th Annual GRREAT Happy Tails Day, in honor of Murphy
Saturday, March 15, 2008 from 3 PM to 6:30 PM
The most perfect weather imaginable brought a strong turnout to help non-profit, Golden Retriever Rescue, Education & Training. Raffle prize winners were drawn all afternoon with the grand prize awarded to Jenny McCoy. She’ll enjoy a night’s stay at Loews Annapolis Hotel with breakfast, thanks to Loews. Other prizes donated by Beachdecor.net, Sundance Travel and Nancy Howell, Pinky’s on West Street, AcuAnimal, Eastern Veterinary Blood Bank, Annebeth’s on MD Avenue, Happy Pet Pet-Sitting and of course Paws pet boutique. Watermark finished the day off by providing a dog-friendly “Dog Tale” Walking Tour around Annapolis.
This event was started in honor of a never-to-be-forgotten GRREAT Golden Retriever, Murphy, who lives in many a heart today. We’re grateful to be in a position to make a donation to GRREAT for over $1,100.
Sunday, December 2, 2007
Local artists Rosemary and Patsy enjoyed creating hand-and-paw paintings that were turned into holiday ornaments. We look forward to hosting this event again in 2008.
Holiday Pupparazzi Photos
Thursday, November 29, 2007
Photographer Cameron Adams once again did a phenomenal job capturing pets and their people.
Another successful sold-out photo session completed. A portion of the proceeds were donated to Tails of Hope pet charity.
Meet & Greet Paws Holiday Artist
Sunday, November 25, 2007
The series of holiday cards created by local artist Rosemary Williams for Paws flew out the door this season. We’re looking forward to seeing what 2008 has in store!
Little Ben’s 2nd Big Fundraiser Cruise
Friday, September 21, 2007
A perfect night on the water aboard Watermark’s Harbor Queen to benefit Animal Legal Defense Fund proved to be a success. With 150+ people and 80+ well-behaved dogs, it looked a bit like Noah’ Ark. Over $8,000 was raised (a $2,600 increase over the first Cruise) to help stop animal abuse and neglect. ALDF rescued our little Jack Russell, Ben, along with 300+ other dogs from horrendous conditions on someone’s property in NC. Ben had the time of his life on the Cruise. Dan Haas and Ben’s Bones entertained all aboard, while generous donations from local businesses provided the food and lively bidding on the silent auction. View more photos...
Special thanks to Madeline Davis, Sarah Scheele and Judi Floyd who helped make this a reality and to Cameron Adams for capturing the experience in photos!
Canines & Cocktails for a Cause
Last Friday in July, August, September & October 2007
- Paws pet boutique and Loews Annapolis Hotel partnered to host this series of dog-friendly, cheerful events which was a huge success in 2007. Each event featured aspecial pet charity in an effort to help them raise awareness and funding for their non-profit work. Through raffles and donations, over $3,000 was raised over the four months to benefit these featured groups: SPCA of Anne Arundel County, Tails of Hope (http://www.tails-of-hope.org/), Guiding Eyes for the Blind and Mid-Atlantic Westie Rescue (http://www.westierescue.com/).
- These non-profit groups continue to inspire us to make a difference. Little Buttons, a 9-year old rat terrier, even found a new home at our first Canines & Cocktails! Where planning on keeping the spirit and hosting another series beginning in the spring of 2008. Stay tuned for dates. As always, well- behaved canines (& humans!) are always welcome and are sure to enjoy the networking opportunity!
Howl-o-ween Barkin’ Bash
Saturday, October 27, 2007 from 11 AM to 3 PM
Fabulous! Approximately $2,500 was raised from this fun annual event at Quiet Waters Park! 100% of the proceeds go to maintaining and improving the Dog Park and Dog Beach at Quiet Waters Park. Funds raised go through Friends of Quiet Waters Park, which is a non-profit that helps to keep the Park a special place.
Paws pet boutique is proud to be a sponsor of this event that keeps tails wagging all year in Annapolis! We’re lucky to have had David Iams take the Barkin’ Bash lead the last few years. He’s done a tremendous job and donated much of his time and funds to develop this day into a well-known dog event in Annapolis. Thanks to all the volunteers and Park Rangers who worked to make this a success…even with a dreary start in the morning! If you are interested in volunteering for Barkin Bash 2008, whether the day-of or in the planning process, let us know!
Crabtowne Canines March on July 4th
July 4, 2007 at 5pm
Our 4th year marching on the 4th with the Crabtowne Canines and the weather was perfect! No rain and not too hot for our 4-legged pals. Although the "watering hole" wading pool out front of Rams Head was a welcomed sight to those water-loving pups. Our group of Annapolitans who “marched” with their dogs in the Annapolis July 4th Parade not only had a blast, but we raised $270 to benefit the SPCA. With matching shirts and pooches in patriotic bandannas we looked "official"! The photos tell the story. We hope you think about joining us next year. Registration will start early June 2008 so we make sure everyone gets the size t-shirt they wish!
Paws is LIVE with CN8 "Your Morning" show at the City Dock
Wednesday, June 27, 2007 7 AM to 10 AM
"Your Morning" on CN8 (Comcast Channel 8 Morning Show) settled into town and showcased Annapolis to launch their Waterfront Wednesdays summer series. Paws pet boutique was tickled to be invited to represent Annapolis and showcase canine seaside styles in our dog-friendly town. Fashions making a splash this season at Paws were modeled by Dixie the dachshund with Julie from Spoiled Rotten Dogs, Joshua the westie with Kirstin, Opal the rescued designer gem with Madeline from Tails of Hope rescue and Luke the lab adopted from the SPCA by Loews Hotel and Monica. All looked like they owned the boardwalk as they strutted their stuff and wagged in style. Comcast reaches millions of households on the east coast between Virginia and Maine, so we hope we made some dog lovers smile! Thanks to all who came out to watch the live broadcast. We enjoyed handing out crab-shaped, gourmet natural dog treats to all of you who came out to bark your support! And special thanks to Karen Guay with Blue Moon Photography who captured our fashion show with these great shots and more!
Paint a "Paw Posy" with Your Pooch for Father's Day
Sunday June 17 from 11 AM to 5 PM
Back by popular demand, local artists Rosemary and Patsy joined us for "round two" to help us create hand-and-paw painted Paw Posies. SPCA dogs, Rosie and Little Man, were on hand to shake paws and thank folks for helping to raise support for their temporary home. A $4 donation was made to our local SPCA for every Paw Posy painting. Thanks to all who participated. On a final note, as of July 4 Rosie had been adopted, but Little Man was still looking for his new home and family. If you are looking for a dog, please consider Little Man at the SPCA!
2nd Annual Pirate Pet Parade at the Annapolis City Dock
Sunday, May 6 at 11 AM
- Watermark and Paws pet boutique joined together again to liven up the Maryland Maritime Festival with a Pirate Pet Parade. All Bow-wow Barkaneers appeared to have a barkin’ good time as they swaggered around the main stage on the City Dock, downtown Annapolis. Loews Hotel's yellow lab mascot, Luke, proudly paraded as the Grand Marshall, while Watermark’s Pirate Captain Tom provided commentary as the canine crew hooked the audience with their scruffy good looks.
- Judging was tough, as all were really winners. But our 3 judges, Dr. Lisa Beagan of Mobile Pet Vet, David Iams the pack leader of the Dog Park Volunteers at Quiet Waters Park and Beth Kahr with Tails of Hope went out on the plank and came up with 11 winners. All received prizes thanks to Watermark, Paws pet boutique, Montrea's Mutt Mobile Grooming, the Mobile Pet Vet and Loews Annapolis Hotel -- who offered up a night's stay at their pet-friendly hotel, along with dinner for two. Everyone enjoyed Loews bone-shaped cookies too!
- Pirate T-shirts and canine bandannas were given to all registrants, while all registration donations went to support Tails of Hope. Tails were waggin' at Tails of Hope booth as we were able to raise over $900 to help this local, no-kill, pet rescue organization!
- Please patronize our Pirate Parade sponsors who made this even more fun than last year...
Watermark providing pet-friendly cruises
Loews Annapolis Hotel providing pet-friendly lodging downtown
Mobile Pet Vet attending to pets in their homes
Montrea's Mutt Mobile Grooming for on the spot pampering
May Day in Annapolis
May 1, 2007
- Freddie the Havanese likes to visit Paws on his walks, so he had his folks from Severna Park Florist create Paws pet boutique's dog-gone basket. Hydrants & dogs go together when it comes to watering, right?
Paint “Paw Posies” at Paws
Sunday, April 22 from 10 AM to 5 PM
- This sold-out event revealed many “Paw-cassos” in Annapolis! So much so, we're planning another Posy Painting Day on Father's Day, Sunday, June 17! Call or visit today for reservations.
- Local artists Rosemary Williams and Patsy Helmetag teamed up to help pet's express themselves with paint. With a little help and some added floral accents, there were some mighty creative posies painted. We enjoyed a beautiful sunny day and had fun displaying many of the Paw Posy creations in front of Paws for all to view.
- This hand-and-paw effort helped to benefit the local charity Box of Rain (visit http://www.theboxofrain.org/). For every posy painting, a $4 donation was made -- a dollar for every paw! Paws Posy Event coincided with Spring Fling Fest on Maryland Avenue & State Circle, which also helped to raise funds and awareness for Box of Rain. By the close of day, a total donation of $3,000 was made to Box of Rain from Paws pet boutique and the other merchants who participated in Spring Fling. Thanks to all who came out.
Spring Collar Swap
Saturday, April 14 from 10 AM to 6 PM
- Thanks to all who brought food, towels, bowls and plenty of collars to help the homeless pets with Tails of Hope pet rescue. We promise everything will be put to good use.
- It's good to know many of you took advantage of the 25% off discount on a new collar for your own pet when you made a donation. We now have some snazzy looking pets out there ready for the warmer weather!
- On a final note, Bill with Tails of Hope is stilling looking for a loving home. If you or someone you know has room in their heart and home, please contact Tails of Hope (http://www.tails-of-hope.org/). This non-profit has a no-kill policy and does unbelievable work. We encourage you to contact them if you are interested in adopting or fostering a pet.
6th Annual GRREAT Happy Tails Day, in honor of Murphy
Saturday, March 24 from 3 – 6:30 PM
- SUCCESS! Close to $2,000 was raised for GRREAT (Golden Retriever Rescue, Education & Training)! Thanks to all who participated and to all the prize sponsors, who made the raffle very exciting and rewarding. With winners drawn every half hour between 3:30 and 6:30 PM, the excitement mounted as we reached the grand prize at 6:30. Special thanks to Nancy Howell of Sundance Travel and Savage River Lodge for donating the 2-night stay with dinner as our grand prize valued at $600.
- Please patronize these businesses who made the GRREAT raffle possible:
Sundance Travel specializing in pet-friendly travel (phone: 800-928-8707 or email@example.com)
Savage River Lodge (a pet-friendly top-notch resort in Frostburg, MD) http://www.savageriverlodge.com/
Pinky’s Liquor Store on West Street in Annapolis who carries Dog Tail Wine!
Before & After with beach goodies and more at http://www.beachdecor.net/
Spoiled Rotten Dogs pet-sitting, http://www.spoiledrottendogs.com/
Happy Pet pet sitting, http://www.happy-pet.net/
Muddy Paw Wash, http://www.muddypawwash.com/
- Representatives from GRREAT and many, many great dogs attended for all the fun. Dog cake was served and tails were a waggin’! If you are interested in learning more about this non-profit organization, visit them at http://www.grreat.org/.
- Once again Watermark partnered with Paws and offered a special walking tour of Annapolis entitled “Animal Tales”. A portion of the walk proceeds went to GRREAT. Watermark is pet-friendly when it comes to their boat tours. Visit them at http://www.watermarkjourney.com/
- This event honors the memory of Murphy, who was one of those dogs you never forget and never want to. As a GRREAT red golden who found his forever home at age 10 in Annapolis, he never looked back and enjoyed every day. His tradition of giving (and not asking for much) lives on as we celebrate him and other dogs that made a difference in our lives. Thanks for helping us make a difference.
Holiday Pet Photo Party
Friday, December 1 from 4 – 8 PM
- Close to 50 pets were captured in photo form thanks to local photographer, Cameron Adams. This season even a rabbit and a feline came out to enjoy the lime light that only dogs had enjoyed in the past. We loved it!
- 10% of each photo session was donated to Tails of Hope. In December, 2006, Paws pet boutique was proud to assist in collecting over $500 in donations for Tails of Hope thanks to this Photo Party, an in-store raffle and counter donations. Thanks for helping us make a difference!
Holiday Card Present-ation Party
Sunday, November 26 from 11 AM to 2 PM
Rosemary Freitas Williams, the Annapolis Artist behind Paws Exclusive Holiday Cards, enjoyed meeting everyone who came for the opening.
- The original watercolor paintings that created the 4 holiday card designs offered in 2006 were on display along with other pieces of framed art by Rosemary. Anyone with a dog identified with the “subject matter” of the designs. Each offered a splash of Annapolis flavor.
- Stay tuned for other exclusive artistic events with Rosemary in 2007! s
3rd Annual Paws’ Paw Dip
Sunday, November 19, 2006 from 10 AM to 3 PM
- Local artist, Megan Evans assisted over 100 participants in “dipping” or imprinting their pet’s paw in a pre-rolled disc of clay to create personalized ornaments. Each ornament was fired in the kiln several times, hand-painted and personalized to make a priceless holiday memory to enjoy for years to come.
- This event sold-out for the 3rd year in a row. Make sure you register early if you are interested in the 2007 Paw Dip! We will try to schedule two dates to accommodate everyone this year.
Howl-o-ween Barkin’ Bash at Quiet Waters Park
Saturday, October 28, 2006 from 11AM to 3PM
The rain stopped just in time to welcome dogs and people for a day of festivities. Once again everyone enjoyed watching or participating in doggie games such as the Frisbee catch and Musical Sits. Costume Contest contestants heeled across the stage this year to show off their creativity and eagerness for a treat!
Each registered participant received a goodie bag with a pumpkin treat and howl-o-ween bandanna donated by Paws pet boutique. What’s Up? Annapolis magazine helped spread the word and the Jaycees provided the food and hot coffee. Thanks to all the rescue groups and vendors who participated in this year’s Bash. Very special thanks to David Iams who once again organized this event, which is always quite an undertaking.
- Fortunately this year’s Bash was a successful fund-raiser for the park. All money raised will help Friends of Quiet Waters maintain and improve the conditions at both the dog park and dog beach.
- Paws pet boutique is proud to be one of the founding sponsors and encourages anyone interested in helping out with the dog park to contact Paws or David Iams through http://www.barkinbash.org/. Help is always needed in keeping the park looking beautiful and in organizing the Barkin’ Bash and other Friends of Quiet Water Park events.
Little Ben’s Big Fundraiser Cruise
Friday, September 8, 7 PM – 10 PM
People outnumbered dogs just 2 to 1, with approximately 80 dogs and 165 people enjoying a perfect evening on Watermark's Harbor Queen. Someone commented "It looks like Noah's Ark with all the dogs walking up the boarding plank!" Guests came together to raise funds and awareness for animals who face unnecessary suffering. All raised funds will support Animal Legal Defense Fund whose mission is to protect animals through the legal system. Specifically the funds raised from this event, Little Ben's Big Fundraiser Cruise, will help ALDF with the Sanford, NC rescue case, from which Ben, along with 300+ other dogs, were removed from horrific conditions they'd known all their lives. See more cruise photos ....
- Dan Haas' Band, Ben's Bones, entertained all aboard and added in some lively sit/stay, dance, singing and waggiest tail contests. http://www.danhaas.com/
- By night's end, close to $5,300 was raised to help ALDF fight the appeals in this court case! Ben now is enjoying home life and learning to play with toys and walk on a leash. All is new to this estimated 3-year old dog, thanks to ALDF. The generous support of Annapolitans will help make a difference. Thanks to all who supported this event. To learn more about ALDF visit http://www.aldf.org/.
- Please patronize the local businesses who generously donated food and Silent Auction items to make this a memorable and successful evening. Special thanks to:
Alexander's of Annapolis Salon & Day Spa
Cameron Adams Photography
Carrol's Creek Cafe in Eastport
Davis' Pub in Eastport
Edible Arrangements of Annapolis
Grauls Market of Cape St. Claire
Great Harvest Bread Co.
Inside Annapolis Magazine
It's a Pet Thing in Pasadena
Loews Annapolis Hotel
Maryland Food Co-op
Pesce Grande of Annapolis
Potato Valley Cafe on the Circle by Paws
Trader Joe's Grocer of Annapolis
Whole Foods of Annapolis
Great Harvest Bread Company
- Photos courtesy of Cameron Adams. To learn more about these photos and others taken at the event, please contact Cameron (see website above). We're grateful for his expertise.
Fall Collar Swap to benefit Tails of Hope
Saturday, September 30 & Sunday, October 1, 2006
- Tails of Hope received a huge box of collars, toys and totes thanks to the generous support of all of you who participated in the Collar Swap. Additionally monetary donations were collected prior and during the event to support Tails of Hope’s angelic work.
- Tails of Hope is a no-kill organization that rescues pets that have found themselves in unfortunate circumstances due to no fault of their own. They can always use collars, leads, food, towels, kitty litter and of course monetary donations. Additionally, they are in search of a large parcel of land to establish a facility. All monetary donations are tax-deductible.
It Rained on Our Parade!
Tuesday, July 4, 2006 at 5 PM
- We could have done without the experience of “raining cats & dogs” on the 4th of July this year. The rain entered the picture right before we lined up for the parade and we were looking good! We did bring home the “Best Animal Group” again this year, even though we did not officially march.
- Just over $200 will be donated to the SPCA on behalf of the Crabtowne Canines. Check back, as we may have to re-group for the Labor Day Parade! Thanks to all who registered and were ready to march. Show off your Crabtowne pride and wear your t-shirt!
- The photos tell the story…with Bailey’s wet mug at the end.
Pirate Pet Parade…to Set Tails Sailing for Tails of Hope
Took Place on Sunday, May 7 at high Noon
Paws pet boutique joined with Watermark to celebrate the Volvo Ocean Race stopover in Annapolis and the Maryland Maritime Heritage Festival in our fair town with a pet parade!
- Unbelievable creativity and participation made it difficult to come up with only 10 dogs that stood out in their categories. Everyone was a winner, but most would agree that "Mad Dog Gus", sitting on his boat, floated above the crowd. Gus and his owner, Martha McNamara took the Skull & Milk bone Award for the most original costume. From the Barkaneers Award to the Ruffy Scupper Award, fun was had by all. Thanks to all who swaggered over to the event.
- We thank Watermark for providing great looking t-shirts made specially for the event, in addition to all their help to make this such a smooth-sailing event. Paws pet boutique enjoyed decking out all the dogs in a special pirate bandanna and awarding prizes to the winners.
- Tails of Hope, our partner charity, helped educate folks about pets and the option of rescue. Tails of Hope dog, Freddie, made his debut at the Parade and found his forever home when a couple submitted an application to adopt him. We love happy endings! Over $650 was raised for this heart-warming organization. To learn more visit http://www.tails-of-hope.org/.
Spring Collar Swap for Homeless Pets
Took place on Sunday, March 12, Noon - 6 PM
With spring around the corner many took advantage of this opportunity to fetch a new look for their pet’s neck attire while helping out the SPCA
- Customers enjoyed a collar discount after donating an old collar or other item to the SPCA. Four boxes were filled with wonderful goodies that went back to help the pets still looking for homes here in Annapolis.
- Representatives from the SPCA visited with sweet pets looking for homes. They certainly enjoyed sampling the biscuits, several belly rubs and their day out.
- The SPCA is always looking for donations of clean towels, food, toys, pet shampoo, kitty litter and other items listed on the wish list found on their website http://www.aacspca.org/. Please keep this in mind any time of year.
Murphy's GRREAT Golden Happy Tails Day
Took place Saturday, March 18, 2006 2 - 6 PM
For the 5th year in a row the weather was pleasant during this Happy Tails Day benefiting Golden Retriever Rescue, Education and Training (http://www.grreat.org/). In honor of our friends’ GRREAT golden, Murphy, all proceeds went to GRREAT to benefit older golden retrievers.
- Over $300 in raffle prizes were donated by Paws pet boutique, Watermark, Before & After (http://www.beachdecor.net/) and Sundance Travel to help raise money for GRREAT. Over $400 was raised for this GRREAT cause.
- GRREAT representatives, including several goldens looking for homes, visited from 2 - 6 pm and enjoyed mingling with a store full of happy-tailed dogs and customers.
- Watermark offered a special Historical Dog Walk Tour again with 10% of the 60-minute tour fee going to GRREAT.
Singles Mingle Happy Tails Hour ...with Photos to Heal a Lonely Heart
Took place February 10, 2006
A phenomenal turnout made this an event to remember.
- Money was collected and donated to Animal Resource Foundation (ARF) from the photos taken by Adrian Hood.
- Several adoptable pets visited with ARF representatives and are still seeking new homes.
- Four-year-old Bear acted like he did every day as he mingled with guests for hours. Bear, a golden retriever mix, enjoys sitting and giving paw on command and is great with pets and children. As of 2/20/06 Bear was adopted! Don't you just love happy endings?
Thanks to all who joined us and made a difference that day.